For the past 31 years, CityLink has hosted the Stuff-A-Bus food drive to help eliminate hunger in Peoria. With a long partnership with Kroger to collect enough food to stuff a classic CityLink bus, the donations collected during the annual food drive benefit the food pantry at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service. Since January of this year, the Peoria Friendship House food pantry has provided meals weekly to 40-50 families who are dealing with hunger in Peoria
All Peoria Kroger stores are participating in this year’s Stuff-a-Bus campaign, which include the stores located at 9219 Lindbergh Dr.; 801 W. Lake Ave.; and 3311 N. Sterling Ave. The Kroger store in East Peoria, located at 201 S. Main St., is also participating. Kroger stores will have pre-bagged food and cash coupons available for purchase to make giving even easier. The contents of the $3, $5 and $10 bags have been selected to provide a good balance of nutritional items.
The following businesses/organizations are also serving as drop off locations during the 2018 Stuff-A-Bus food drive: • City of Peoria Public Works (3505 N. Dries Ln, Peoria, IL 61604) • CityLink Administrative offices (2105 NE Jefferson Ave, Peoria, IL 61603) • Cumulus Radio (120 Eaton St, Peoria, IL 61603) • Dozer Park (730 SW Jefferson Ave, Peoria, IL 61605) • Fix My Gadget (three locations: 4732 N. University St, Peoria, IL 61614; 809 E. War Memorial Dr, Peoria Heights, IL 61616; 2220 Court St, Pekin, IL 61554) • Peoria Riverfront Museum (222 SW Washington St, Peoria, IL 61602) • West Peoria City Hall (2506 W. Rohmann Ave, West Peoria, IL 61604) • WMBD Studios (3131 N. University St, Peoria, IL 61604)
The Peoria Riverfront Museum is offering a $1 discount off general admission to individuals who donate a nonperishable food item to Stuff-A-Bus throughout the duration of the food drive (One donation is required per person to receive the discount). The Peoria Chiefs are offering two ticket vouchers good for a game in April 2019 to individuals who donate a minimum of five or more non-perishable food items at Dozer Park during Stuff-A-Bus. Please call the Peoria Riverfront Museum at 309-686-7000 and Dozer Park at 309-680-4000 if you have questions about these promotions.
Throughout the 2018 Stuff-A-Bus campaign, various activities will be held in support of the food drive:
• November 7: Ride Free Day - Passengers can ride free on CityLink buses with the donation of a nonperishable food item. One donation is required per ride.
• November 10: Stuff-A-Bus Night at the Peoria Rivermen game against the Fayetteville Marksmen. Fans who bring a donation of non-perishable food to the game will receive a special Stuff-A-Bus t-shirt giveaway. Game time is at 7:15 p.m. at the Peoria Civic Center. (One donation is required per person and the t-shirt giveaway is limited to one t-shirt per fan.)
• November 14: Ride Free Day - Passengers can ride free on CityLink buses with the donation of a nonperishable food item. One donation is required per ride.
• November 16: The 5th Annual Day of Stuffing will take place at the Kroger Store located at 801 W. Lake Ave from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. WMBD and Peoria Cumulus Radio stations will broadcast live from the location inviting people to come to the store and make their food donation to help fill the bus with donations. Television and radio personalities, as well as other special guests, will be on hand throughout the day.
• November 17: Ghostbusters Peoria “Stuff an Ecto” event at the Kroger store in East Peoria from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• November 19: Calendar Day - The public can receive a free 2019 Peoria Historical Calendar in exchange for a donation of non-perishable food at the CityLink Transit Center or Administrative offices.
• December 4: Weigh-In Day Press Conference – the final weight of the food collected will be revealed at a press conference at the Peoria Friendship House of Christian Service at 10:00 a.m.